Sunday, February 17, 2008

POTD Feb 17


Today I left Michael and the babies at home, at headed up to the park by myself, just to see what I could come up with. I have 17 shots that I have saved to have a play with. I can't remember how many I took, I think it was about 100. Alot of them simply didn't work. Some of them I know why, some I don't. Shutter speed seems to be my problem today. I can look at a photo and know why it didn't work most of the time, but knowing exactly how to fix it is something I am still working on. One thing at a time.



On yesterdays post, a few people asked about focus. The main thing I learned was the correlation between focal length and shutter speed, but like I said, I'm not really sure how to fix that yet. I'll get there though. Sara, I'm not sure about the things you mentioned, but I'll check out the FAQ thread, thanks.



Here's my favourite so far. This is more or less as shot. Just played with the contrast a little.




ISO 100 f/8.0 1/30

This is a set of stone stairs to the left of the waterfall.


ISO 200 f/16.0 1/25

I took this one with reflection in mind. I liked how the tree reflected in the water but was broken up by the sheets of thin ice. I wanted to include the leaf as a point of interest. I did play with the histogram for this one a little in PS to get better brightness and contrast. Not sure I am done with it. Michael thinks it needs to be cropped in a bit tighter on the leaf.He might be right. It gets a little lost, but I don't want to lose the reflection. It does look better when the whole thing is larger though.



ISO100 f14.0 1/13



Thanks for all the comments.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are all amazing! I need to get out with the kids and hubby in tow! You have inspired me!
cari

Unknown said...

Great shots! I love the first one too.

For Over 29 Years... said...

Oh that first one is just beautiful! Such a cool reflection in the water. your link still wasn't working on the second try. You need to take out the first part where it says "twopeas..." start it with www.Yourwebsite.com

Amy said...

Those are awesome! Love the tranquility of the first one. The second one makes me wonder where the stones lead. Very nice!

Sara Pearcy said...

I like the last one, but I can see how a tighter crop would suit too. I'd keep the bottom left corner and have the leaf in the top right-hand third. ;)

The first shot is beautiful Leish.

Becky said...

I like these a lot, especially the first one! Looks like a beautiful spot.

Angela2932 said...

What a beautiful place you found to photograph! These are wonderful!

Merilee said...

These are very pretty. I love the first one. I am really hoping it warms up here soon, so I can get out more.

emilyc said...

WTG braving the elements for these pictures. They look great -- though I do have to admit I had a hard time finding the leaf in that last shot, but the reflection looks great. Tough call.

Tera Fraley said...

Great photos!! I love that first one and the path leading you up. Good eye!